Friday, January 2, 2015

Genealogy Do-Over Beginning my Modified Approach

As I read the Do-Over objectives for the first week, I began to formulate my approach.  It is specific to me and my genealogy.  I had already begun a review of my genealogy files by beginning with my Burbach line and comparing my paper files with my data base and making sure that my facts were properly documented.


I will continue with this process but include setting up a more manageable file system for both paper and digital.  To achieve this I spent time today updating and organizing Evernote.  I also purchased Lorine McGinnis Shultze's  "Organize Your Genealogy in Evernote in 10 East Steps" and The Genealogical Proof Standardby the Board for Certification of Genealogists.  I will be setting up notebooks for each of the lines I am researching.  I will also be making a list of the records that I need to obtain.  Mostly I have been working with census, church records, and ship lists.  They will need to be added to the media files for the appropriate individual.

I believe I have been guilty of not citing my sources and know I have not kept any records of failed or un-successful searches.  This is something I will be correcting.  I have also reviewed Christa Cowan's videos on "Common Genealogy Mistakes".  One error I have made is not recording every spelling of a name I am researching.  Who knew there were so many spellings of the name Ferguson?  One challenge will be to try to re-create that list.


No comments:

Post a Comment